Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Wonderful Word of Meh

Meh. My new favorite word. It seems to fit so many situations so perfectly.

“How’s it going today?”
“Meh.”
“Gotcha!”

Or –

“Great hockey game last night!”
“Meh.”
“Yeah, it was a bit slow.”

Or even –

“Mommy! I’m hungry!”
“Meh.”
Oh wait...what? I'd never say that.

All the same…you get the point.

My love for the word Meh encouraged me to do a bit of research about it, because I have so much free time on my hands. (Work can wait! Laundry can wait! Supper can wait! Housework can wait!)
And guess what, there is a TON of stuff about the mighty Meh when it is googled.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meh

Meh – is an intergection, often used as an expression of apathy, indifference, or boredom. However, it can also be used to indicate agreement or disagreement and in rare cases an ambiguous unit of measure. It can also be an adjective, meaning mediocre or boring.

How great is that!? An ambiguos unit of measure...I don't even know what that means!

But wait! It gets better...

As I read on about my beloved word, I discovered that the source of its rising popularity seemed to come from The Simpsons in 1994. THE SIMPSONS! Of course it did.
(It was also used in a forum about Melrose Place in 1992 - makes sense. Meh.)

Then the Edmonton Sun actually used it in publication in 2003 when discussing a Survivor vote. How fitting...

But wait! There is more...

Controversy arose in November 2008 when the word was added to the Collins English Dictionary. People didn't seem to like the fact that a neologism (look it up - pretty cool) wormed it's way into the publication.

But wait! It gets even better...

Harper Collins' included a real example of the marvelous word in its definition. Hold onto your pants boys and girls, this is hilarious -

Meh - as in 'the Canadian election was so meh'

(for real! check out the story - http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=f216bac2-8f0b-4202-a1ae-8f7ed4de2bd7

I'm in love.
Meh.
Maybe I'm just bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment