Friday, November 12, 2010

New Title to Add to My Resume...

I have just embarked on a new venture/adventure in my life. I have just entered the Realm of Hockey Mom.

It's true. And everything I have heard about being a hockey mom, or hockey moms in general, is true too.

From the famous Sarah Palin quote -

"What's the difference between a pit bull and a hockey mom? Pit bulls don't wear lipstick." (BaDum-Ching!) -

to the almost animal instinct of cheering certain mantras while your child is on the ice -

"Get in there buddy! Go hard! Keep 2 hands on your stick! Skate-Skate-Skate!" -

being a hockey mom is a colossal life adjustment.

I'm actually kind of confused about the whole thing. It is all encompassing in our lives now. There are 2 one-hour practices a week, at least one game every weekend (2 games every weekend for the month of November) and extra requirements expected of me. (mandatory hockey meetings - volunteer hours or I get charged a hefty fee - selling 50/50 tickets during home games - sitting in the time box...) Plus I have 2 other children that are being forced to spend minimum of 5 hours each week at the arena.

Then at the hockey game this morning something happened.

He scored his first goal.

HE SCORED A FREAKIN' GOAL!
ON A BREAKAWAY!

MY SON SCORED A GOAL!

I was so proud I could have burst - I could have actually burst into a million pieces.

Then it all made sense. The countless hours I will spend in a cold arena are nothing compared to the look on my child's face when he scores a goal for his team.

So...I would like to finish by saying...

My name is Kaley.
I am a hockey mom.
And I am DAMN proud of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment